It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:49 am

All times are UTC + 7 hours

Post subject: Night Dive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:04 pm 

Hello Boys and Girls,

Just would like to share some dive sh** and get comments from ya' all...

I think one of the great dives tech that could really gave us such an amazing experiences is Night Dive.

For some divers, Night Dive can be such a great exp., but for some it might get too many hassles... because of many pre-preparation we should consider..

Night Dive can be so much fun, amazing, beautiful plus... eerie... in a way..
For photographers, you'll get pitch black background for a contrast object you shoot! Love it!

For recreational, you will discover and encounter many different species that you don't normally see during day time. It’s the same dive shiteee... but its a whole lot different view... The creatures are behaving differently and predators are all out... great opportunities to see many lobsters, shrimps, prawn or whatever u call it... sometimes Squids... I like to look at spanish dancer during this time... especially when they flyyy in the darkness... that's HOT... i mean CUTE... look out under the dark corals and rocks, u might see somethinggg… oh yeah, people said sex is everywhere...HA!

I like to look at all the tiny critters that fly all around you and under your beam light. Did you know that these critters actually absorb lights? Pay attention… they glowwws…. Like millions stardust! no... zillion...

So, here I came out with some things that came across my mind… feel free to add up and comments… :-)

- We need to be familiar and need to re-check our dive gear right before nightfall, we don’t wanna get into trouble by the time its dark and you can’t figure out where the h**l did I put my mask?! I always put my mask inside my fin or simply put it around my neck, this way there’s no way I’ll lose it.

- Torch, torch, torch… I always bring like two torch altogether. It’s kinda annoying and heavy to carry around two torches, but this is a must. Keep changing your battery to a new one every two night dives you made. I normally use the torch till it’s out of battery by carrying it even to the next day dive. I use it as my photo’s light enhanced! Hahaha…

- I find diving sound alert (klakson) very much helpful. I felt safe and by having this you can assure that if anything happens you could just honk it, and attract attention. But be wise on using this gear, because you don’t wanna chase the creatures away.

- I like to attach the glow stick at the back of our tank, so we’d be able to identify who’s who.

- Keep re-check and re-checking your SPG air bar…

- Stay close to your buddy, hehe especially the HOT one…

- Wanna look to your right or left? Turn your torch to the direction first then turn your head…

- If you are lost or separated from your buddy, cover your torch light towards your body and look around slowly… Look no more than one minute dudes… if you don’t see any lights from distance, your dive is over… Boo Hooo…

-It’s good if you have build in compass with you… before dives I always aim and lock my compass towards the station island. This way I kind of know my way back.

That’s all folks… remember… remember… Night Dive can be “FUN” if you do it right, can be “FRUIT” if u does it wrong… ha-ha…[code][/code]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C.Yuda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:59 pm 

nice article, tapi foto2nya kurang nyambung nih.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:01 pm 

Christo del Mar wrote:
nice article, tapi foto2nya kurang nyambung nih.... :)
AHAHAHAHAHA... yeah i just thought the sunset kanits the environment when u wanna go night dive.. trus yg di wreck itu kalau gelap2 gitu pake torch... ahahuahahaha..... apa cobaa... :roll:

C.Yuda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:15 pm 

ok...understandable, thanx for the enlightenment.... :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 pm 

Nicely written...maybe we should go back to the textbook of advance certificate?? the basic is there and the rest is just logic...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:01 pm 

Night dive could be fun and could be sh*t
Everyone has a different opinion about night dive. I think it was great exp. For me my self I like to do drift dive then night dive :(
After all, diving should be fun right? So, if you dont enjoy it, you dont have to do it .. :)

Cheers !

Zen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am 

mungkin rekans ada yang bisa memberikan advice. Saya sudah coba night dive dan somehow sama sekali tidak bisa enjoy, bahkan stress.. mungkin karena referensi lokasinya tidak ada (alias yang dilihat cuma searah senter) atau karena hal baru yang belum pernah sebelumnya... atau jangan2 saya memang Claustrofobia yaa .... waduch...

salam,
aria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 am 

aria4m wrote:
mungkin rekans ada yang bisa memberikan advice. Saya sudah coba night dive dan somehow sama sekali tidak bisa enjoy, bahkan stress.. mungkin karena referensi lokasinya tidak ada (alias yang dilihat cuma searah senter) atau karena hal baru yang belum pernah sebelumnya... atau jangan2 saya memang Claustrofobia yaa .... waduch...

salam,
aria

Aria, kayanya kamu kurang enjoy karena tujuan night divenya kamu belum punya.

Coba deh pilih tujuan kamu night dive mau ngapain. Kalau cuma sekedar nyemplung malem-malem sih mendingan kita pergi ke disco ajaaa...

So, normally people go for a night dive with a defined objective, such as:

# AT TWILIGHT: Hunters from both daytime and nighttime shifts look for quick kills in the confusion. Reef sharks, for example, hug the reef so their prey is silhouetted against the twilit surface. As daytime fish settle in for the night, defenses go up. Triggerfish dive into crevasses and erect dorsal spines to lock themselves in place. Parrotfish wrap themselves in a blanket of repellent mucus. Mating also takes place in the fading light. Surgeonfish, grouper and wrasse engage in "spawning rises," ejecting bursts of eggs and sperm into the water.

# DURING PRIME TIME. In full darkness, corals and gorgonians expand their bodies and blossom with flower-like polyps and stinging tentacles, hoping to catch drifting plankton. Nudibranchs, unprotected by shells, come out to graze. Crabs, lobsters, brittle stars and urchins leave their holes to feed and mate. Octopuses and seahorses become more active.

# AFTER MIDNIGHT: As dawn approaches, the movie spools in reverse. Grunts and groupers return to their holes, while sleeping parrotfish begin to stir. Soft and hard corals wilt and retract as the light grows stronger. Twilight hunters assault the morning rush hour, but soon lose their edge over the daytime reef fish streaming from their cracks and caves. The familiar daytime population reappears and the cycle begins anew.

So are you afraid of the dark? Most divers are, at first. We're daytime creatures, and peering into a black night sea is naturally disconcerting. Experience will help you get over it. In the meantime, it helps to minimize the stresses. Choose a calm night and follow a modest profile. Start at twilight when there's still a little light for gearing up and getting comfortable. Take it slow and easy. Keep it simple at first--no cameras or hunting gear.

So, to complete this post here are night dive essential knowledge for all of us to remember:

The Essential Rules of Night Diving
GO LITE ON THE LIGHT. A lot of divers cling to their lights like security blankets, and that's a mistake. When you reach the bottom, turn off your beam and see how much ambient light there is. (Or press it against your stomach or chest to "snuff" it. Lights are most likely to fail when you operate the switch, so minimize the on/off cycles.)

In any case, give your eyes a minute to adjust and you may be surprised. The lights of other divers, the moon and even the stars can provide so much ambient light you really don't need your dive light on. With it off, you'll see more fish not fewer, and coral polyps and anemones will keep their tentacles extended.

If you do need a light, you may not need its full power. Try dimming it by cupping your fingers over it. In any case, use the edge of the pool of light, not the "hot spot," to pick out critters. Bottom line: To see nature's nightlife, be more natural yourself. Use minimal artificial light and instead try to get by as the other night creatures do, with nature's light.

TREAT YOUR LIGHT LIKE A LOADED GUN. Don't shine your light in anyone's face (including your own) or you'll ruin their night vision.

KNOW THE SIGNALS. Hand signals will be difficult or impossible to see, so put your light to good use. Making a circle with the beam means "OK," waving it side to side calls for attention, and waving it up and down calls for help. If you're at close range, turn the beam on your hand to illuminate traditional signals. Just remember rule #2 whenever you signal with a light.

KNOW THE DRILL. Should you become separated from your buddy, get vertical and shine your light outward while turning a full circle. Your buddy should do the same and one of you will see the glow of the other's light. If you surface far from the dive boat, point it at the boat only until you get attention, then shine it down on your head. Shining it at the boat just blinds the crew and makes you invisible.

GET A STRAP. Secure your light to your wrist with a lanyard--it's cheap insurance against dropping and losing your primary source of illumination. Most dive lights are negatively buoyant. When you let go, they will drop and dangle from your wrist. If you need to free up a hand, turn the beam off before you drop the light. That way, you won't blind other divers or send confusing signals to your buddy.

DON'T USE YOUR DIVE LIGHT TOPSIDE. Some dive lights burn so hot that they will melt their reflectors and lenses without the cooling effect of water. Save the bulb and the battery life of your dive light by using a regular flashlight for topside tasks.

DON'T JUMP IN HOLDING YOUR LIGHT. Have someone hand it down to you. The impact of a giant stride may jar your light's O-ring and let water seep in.

STAY CLOSE TO YOUR BUDDY. You might need a third hand to hold a light while you refasten a buckle or stuff a lobster in a bag.

SNAP YOUR CONSOLE TO A D-RING. That way, you can read it no-hands. Or try a retractor that pulls your gauge console back to the same position when you let go. This eliminates the need to fumble for gauges in the dark.

CHECK INSTRUMENTS MORE OFTEN. Without a clear visual reference, it's easy to drift upward or downward without realizing it. In the excitement, you might also find yourself using air faster than normal.

START YOUR DIVE AT TWILIGHT. You'll have the best of both worlds: Dim light to gear up in and full dark will come while you dive. You'll also have the chance to see the reef make the transition from the day shift to the night shift, one of the most exciting periods of activity.

STAY SHALLOW. Always a good idea when it's your fourth or fifth dive of the day, but there's a better reason: more bottom time. You came to see the show, so why not make it last as long as you can?

Cheers,
Rendra
selama bulan puasa kita nite dive aja yuuk..

BBeXplorers - Indonesia's Center for Diving Excellence | GUE Affiliate | We provide: Diver Training, EFR Training, Halcyon Dive Systems | Need info on joining DAN? E-mail me: rendra [at] banyubiru.org | Join our group on facebook: Banyu Biru Explorers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:37 pm 

om rendra, thanks untuk masukannya.
Cuma yang saya rasakan, sebelum memikirkan dan menuju pada apa tujuannya yang semula sudah direncanakan eee...sudah keburu kedatangan stress karena kegelapan... setelah itu dah lupa tuh tujuannya...

Kata orang sih stress atau ketakutan diatasi dengan melakukan.. jadi sementara jawaban saya memang lakukan lagi.. dan lagi.. kalau sudah 10x night dive terus masih belum bisa menghilangkan stress nya.. mungkin sebaiknya cari fun yang lain..

thanks
aria
"boleh gak yaa takut diving ??"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 am 

@Aria: rasa takut, cemas, atau fear adalah sebuah kontrol yang sangat baik. Dalam berbagai jenis aktivitas berisiko tinggi sangat diperlukan adanya rasa takut.

Namun demikian, fear is something yang bisa dikontrol/ dikendalikan. Kalau nggak bisa jadi paranoia.

So, apa yang dilakukan Aria dengan mencoba dan mencoba lagi adalah sebuah effort yang sangat baik.

Mungkin ada baiknya mulai aja dengan dive sore2 (sekitar maghrib), sehingga masih cukup banyak cahaya. Atau, sekali-sekali night dive sama saya (maksudnya gw minta diajak hehehehe....)

Cheers,
R

BBeXplorers - Indonesia's Center for Diving Excellence | GUE Affiliate | We provide: Diver Training, EFR Training, Halcyon Dive Systems | Need info on joining DAN? E-mail me: rendra [at] banyubiru.org | Join our group on facebook: Banyu Biru Explorers

Post subject: Mass Coral Spawning
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:49 pm 

Mau nambahin masukan mas Rendra. Saya sih belum pernah lakonin night dive, tapi kebetulan buddy diver saya sudah beberapa kali melakoni night dive sebelum ketemu saya. Salah satu cerita night dive-nya yang mengesankan saat Mass Coral Spawning (spawn: bertelur) di perairan Karibia yang biasanya di bulan Agustus setelah full moon. Kalau gak salah sekarang jadi annual event gitu.

ini video dari NG mengenai coral reef spawning:
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... wning.html

Ini info mass coral spawning di Australia:
http://www.prodivecairns.com.au/spawning.html

Untuk mass coral spawning di Indonesia, saya nemu info & timing-nya di website ini:
http://www.wcsmarine-indonesia.org/inde ... &newsid=54

Mungkin itu bisa jadi event menarik untuk night dive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:00 pm 

aria4m wrote:
om rendra, thanks untuk masukannya.
Cuma yang saya rasakan, sebelum memikirkan dan menuju pada apa tujuannya yang semula sudah direncanakan eee...sudah keburu kedatangan stress karena kegelapan... setelah itu dah lupa tuh tujuannya...

Kata orang sih stress atau ketakutan diatasi dengan melakukan.. jadi sementara jawaban saya memang lakukan lagi.. dan lagi.. kalau sudah 10x night dive terus masih belum bisa menghilangkan stress nya.. mungkin sebaiknya cari fun yang lain..

thanks
aria
"boleh gak yaa takut diving ??"

Mas, kl mau ngilangin rasa takut gelapnya musti ikut therapi dulu, caranya: pakai masker & snorkel terus nyemplung ke dalem bak mandi sambil dimatiin lampu kamar mandinya, siapa tahu berhasil. Jgn lupa dikunci pintunya yah mas, ntr kl ada yg tiba2 masuk bisa kaget setengah mati :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 pm 

@ om rendra : entar ditagih deh janjinya, artinya kan mau ngajarin and nemenin ane night dive.. hehehe
@ guswid : boleh juga nih tipnya dicoba.. hehehe cuma ane perlu cari bak mandi dulu yang bisa dimasukin....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm 

@guswid: ide lo boleh juga! top markotop!

Nyobain ahhh.... kikikikikikikik :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:29 pm 

... diperbanyak aja jam nyelemnya, sehingga urusan dive-gear bener2 otomatis... gak perlu nginget mask ada di mana, fin kiri atau kanan, senter di kiri atau kanan, dll... :-). PD kita akan nambah dengan sendirinya... nite dive pun akan jadi terbiasa, bedanya... cuma gelap n critternya lebih buaanyaak n aktif :-D

Pernah coba iseng latihan gear-up tutup mata gak? sekedar 'mengingatkan' tangan dan diri kita di mana posisi alat2 kita (inflator, strap, dll)... kan nite dive gak keliatan tuh..:-)

Untuk lebih ekstrim, saya sering latihan di darat, dalam kamar gelap2, motret pake uw housing... utk mengakrabkan diri dgn tombol2 setting, jadi waktu nite dive juga tetep bisa tenang.

have fun