It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC + 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sidemount Courses
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:49 pm 

rendra wrote:

Hi bro... how are you? First I'd like to congrats you for becoming a PSAI network, welcome to Indonesia :)

I never heard of GUE "no colors allowed" thing.... it's kinda weird if it's true don't you think? =))

GUE divers has been using very colorful gear and that's cool! =))

And regarding SM or BM, or other kind of configurations, it's all about diver comfort and safety. No one can guarantee that a system will give more comfort or more safety. It's a personal preference and ideally must be tried. So, for us whom have the more experience with the so many kind of configurations available, it's always good to share each personal experience with our fellow divers... This forum is about sharing anyway :smile:

The US and Mex story will be different with us, especially if we're talking about the Florida - Mexico diving destinations. Yes, they tend to move to SM, and it is mainly affected with the availability of caves and cavern in the area. For them it's not necessarily for doing deep penetration, but more on the logistical issues like carrying tanks from their truck to the cave entrance which in many case will be really painful for BM doubles.

There's always advantages and disadvantages, and thanks for this forum to provide us space to share these :smile:

I'm not a fanatic of traditional configuration as I've posted earlier. I will definitely dive SM when the environment requires so, no doubt. What matters are diving safety, comfort and excellence...

Chris wrote:
just like GUE, no colors allowed.. some find it cool some find it boring.. we are just full of choices nowaways, unlike the olden day.. lol.

Hmm, just wondering where you got the information from that in GUE no colour is allowed?

sorry if i made a wrong statement.. i got this from fellow GUE divers and GUE training schools which i do not want to them any of them.. hee.

nevertheless, yes rendra, you are right as per what you have mention above. :-bd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:12 pm 

Quote:
Performancewise, I don't think SM configuration could do better than traditional back mount in ocean diving. It will be a big hassle and adds more risk diving in SM configuration at ocean environment with choppy surface and big currents.

Quote:
But in general I like BM more because of various reasons that makes me feel comfortable and safe underwater.

Quote:
And regarding SM or BM, or other kind of configurations, it's all about diver comfort and safety. No one can guarantee that a system will give more comfort or more safety.

With proper training, knowledge about equipment set up, good judgment, good physical body, and diver comfort level will make the diver more safe while diving, as I always say <Plan your dive,Dive your plan>.
It's still depends on diver choice, which kind of configuration make the diver comfort level and what kind of flexibility, streamline do the diver need.

Quote:
just like GUE, no colors allowed.. some find it cool some find it boring.. we are just full of choices nowaways, unlike the olden day.. lol.

Quote:
I never heard of GUE "no colors allowed" thing.... it's kinda weird if it's true don't you think? =))

Quote:
GUE divers has been using very colorful gear and that's cool! =))

I believe GUE didn't say that all equipment must be in BLACK color, but is it Black looks more expert or more serious diver ?
Honestly speaking, until today I haven't see any GUE diver with colorful gear while diving. A few of my VERY GUE friend told me, Black color make them looks cool and feels more serious diver. Well, is really depend on personal like about colors. To me, serious diver is base on the diver attitude BUT not the color.

Is good to have some color on equipment, it remind me when I dive with all technical diver, when they finish their dive on boat, they start to confuse which pair of fins is your because most of the diver is using Black color without marking their name, even worst is all ScubaPro brand. :-\ Other than that, everyone looks almost the same in the photo and dunno which one were you especially while take it in deep dive.

Diving should be fun, enjoy with safe, I feel color will make more fun and easy to recognise while your buddy help you take photo/video, because our underwater world is so rich of colors, perfect match !

Have a nice day and dive safe.

<Plan your dive,Dive your plan>

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:00 pm 

Ahahahhaaaaaaa! =))

Well.... about tec or GUE or whatever agency... color is not a matter at all! =))

But there are reasons for why most of the stuffs are in black.... with proper training and good knowledge you should understand this... :wink:

1. Black (Jet) Fins... happens to be SP or Aqualung RF II, or whatever brands... the first issue are mostly in black! And it's a trademark... There are techie fins in other colors, but they came out later, the market has been filled with black techie fins! Does it look cool? YESSS!!!! :D ... and what else can we do with that black color? We could put a clear white marks of whose feet were those! White marker to write RH on each fins... so my fellow divers knows... ahhh that's rendra in front of me.... :D

So I chose black for (a) availability; (b) so you could follow me easily.... just read the letters on the fins, so you won't miss who to follow.... :D

2. Black Mask... Why Black Dive Masks Are Better? -- quote from DGE (www.divegearexpress.com)

Clear skirts on masks are popular because they minimize the claustrophobic feeling some people get when they wear a mask. Nevertheless, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. Extraneous light entering through the clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Demonstrate this by looking out a window from a lighted room at twilight. You will see better by cupping your hands around your eyes as you press your face to the window. Brightly colored glossy accent frames can also cause annoying color halos around the lenses. For these reasons, knowledgeable divers seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

And it's true! So it's more on function than fashion, yes?

3. Black Wing? No no... we uses colorful wings.... My wing has a distinctive yellow band around it... There are other wings in pink, red, blue, grey, even rainbow colors!

4. Black exposure suit? nooooooo! Most drysuits are colorful.... red and grey (Santi) is nice looking drysuit! :)

5. Confuse whose gear are those on deck? I don't think technical divers are like that... We are very very very neat with our gears! Once back on deck, everything comes together in one place.... So sorry if you experienced diving with a deck cluttered with gears! Maybe those divers were not so knowledgeable and didn't get proper training... feel sorry for them....

I agree with you: Diving is about ATTITUDE... :-bd

And about SM diving configuration (back to this thread's topic), please do share more about the advantages and disadvantages so people will be interested to learn... Better off if you provide SM trial dive at pool for forum selam members... what a great idea! :D

Bottom line: safety, comfort, excellence...

:)

BBeXplorers - Indonesia's Center for Diving Excellence | GUE Affiliate | We provide: Diver Training, EFR Training, Halcyon Dive Systems | Need info on joining DAN? E-mail me: rendra [at] banyubiru.org | Join our group on facebook: Banyu Biru Explorers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:34 pm 

Just a little bit of a colorful GUE divers in action! We love PINK! :D

Attachment:
314999_2438181596218_1699462077_n.jpg

Attachment:
293422_2438182036229_284998017_n.jpg

Attachment:
313321_2438182596243_1607119736_n.jpg

Attachment:
294570_2438196076580_1982111126_n.jpg

Attachment:
320634_2438184556292_925182181_n.jpg

And no cluttered deck! Only tanks are everywhere but not the divers' personal gears....

:-bd :mrgreen: :D :o)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BBeXplorers - Indonesia's Center for Diving Excellence | GUE Affiliate | We provide: Diver Training, EFR Training, Halcyon Dive Systems | Need info on joining DAN? E-mail me: rendra [at] banyubiru.org | Join our group on facebook: Banyu Biru Explorers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 am 

Mike Ooi wrote:
Is good to have some color on equipment, it remind me when I dive with all technical diver, when they finish their dive on boat, they start to confuse which pair of fins is your because most of the diver is using Black color without marking their name, even worst is all ScubaPro brand. :-\ Other than that, everyone looks almost the same in the photo and dunno which one were you especially while take it in deep dive.

ola Mike, well im not a techie or a GUE member but your comments seems weird to me. there's some cheap trick to solves their problems

color ties

white marker

decal

do you think i need a course to put all that cheap trick on my gear & being neat with my gear on deck?
well, agreed with your comment on "attitude" & oh btw i borrow your line; proper training, knowledge about equipment set up, good judgment, good physical body, and diver comfort level will make the diver NOT confuse with their gear

Rendra wrote:
And about SM diving configuration (back to this thread's topic), please do share more about the advantages and disadvantages so people will be interested to learn... Better off if you provide SM trial dive at pool for forum selam members... what a great idea! :D

i couldn't agree more.

\:D/ :-bd

Last edited by ndr on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:20 pm 

Hi guys,

Quote:
the market has been filled with black techie fins! Does it look cool? YESSS!!!! :D ... and what else can we do with that black color?

You can look COOL too in Striking Pink or Orange color jet fin that I'm using now, I believe it can be more works then use a clear white marks to write your name on each fins. But it still depend on diver decision on color, You'll look more sexy in PINK color fins with RH on the fins that match with your sexy Pink color tank. Woo...hooo ! Magnet other to diver.

Quote:
Clear skirts on masks are popular because they minimize the claustrophobic feeling some people get when they wear a mask. Nevertheless, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. Extraneous light entering through the clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Demonstrate this by looking out a window from a lighted room at twilight. You will see better by cupping your hands around your eyes as you press your face to the window. Brightly colored glossy accent frames can also cause annoying color halos around the lenses. For these reasons, knowledgeable divers seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

Sorry if I'm wrong, If Black skirts mask will give the best vision, why every Scuba brands comes with so many colorful of mask ? Especially the Atomic ARC lens and Gull UV-coating lens, they do have a special coating on the lens is to reduce reflected light and actually increase the amount of available light transmitted to a diver’s eyes. The result is a greatly improved transmission of 98% of available light. If the diver who choose clear skirting mask mean they're not knowledgeable ?

Ya agree, A good diver should always neat on their equipment, so it won't have any barrier to other diver to walk through the dive boat.

Quote:

Sure Renda, we will try to arrange a SM trial dive in the pool , for those people who interested about it.
You're more then welcome to join us if you're free, hope to see you soon.

Have a nice day guy.

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:52 pm 

Mike Ooi wrote:
Sorry if I'm wrong, If Black skirts mask will give the best vision, why every Scuba brands comes with so many colorful of mask? Especially the Atomic ARC lens and Gull UV-coating lens, they do have a special coating on the lens is to reduce reflected light and actually increase the amount of available light transmitted to a diver’s eyes. The result is a greatly improved transmission of 98% of available light. If the diver who choose clear skirting mask mean they're not knowledgeable?

have you seen this article? http://www.cadivingnews.com/article/950 ... Skirt-Mask.
well, i have both Black Skirt Mask & Clear Skirt Mask. and why i bought black skirt mask? i bought it to look more like a Ninja.

\:D/ :-h

Last edited by ndr on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 pm 

I have both too, black-black & clear-clear, one as spare, use them alternately :D
single window is my fave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

+62-812-218-NNDO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:34 am 

Mike Ooi wrote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
the market has been filled with black techie fins! Does it look cool? YESSS!!!! :D ... and what else can we do with that black color?

You can look COOL too in Striking Pink or Orange color jet fin that I'm using now, I believe it can be more works then use a clear white marks to write your name on each fins. But it still depend on diver decision on color, You'll look more sexy in PINK color fins with RH on the fins that match with your sexy Pink color tank. Woo...hooo ! Magnet other to diver.

Quote:

Sorry if I'm wrong, If Black skirts mask will give the best vision, why every Scuba brands comes with so many colorful of mask ? Especially the Atomic ARC lens and Gull UV-coating lens, they do have a special coating on the lens is to reduce reflected light and actually increase the amount of available light transmitted to a diver’s eyes. The result is a greatly improved transmission of 98% of available light. If the diver who choose clear skirting mask mean they're not knowledgeable ?

Ya agree, A good diver should always neat on their equipment, so it won't have any barrier to other diver to walk through the dive boat.

Quote:

Sure Renda, we will try to arrange a SM trial dive in the pool , for those people who interested about it.
You're more then welcome to join us if you're free, hope to see you soon.

Have a nice day guy.

Mike, I'm dying to have one of the colorful jetfins! Where did you get your pairs?

By the way if time permit I'd also like to attend your SM demo dive in the pool (I live outside jakarta).
does SM system has standardized configuration?
Might also looking for alternate tank mounting system if somehow in the future I'm having back problems.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 am 

Guys, for those who are interested to know or learn more about Side Mount (SM) diving configuration, there are some good reference for you to learn prior to taking the course... thanks to the internet!:

1. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_mount_diving

Allow me to reiterate this info from Wikipedia:

Sidemount for the recreational diver

The benefits for cave diving and wreck diving with tight penetrations are largely accepted, but they are not so clear for the typical recreational diver.

Most recreational divers rely on their buddy for bailout gas, and do not carry a redundant gas supply. When there is only one cylinder, there is only no need to control several valves. The position of the cylinder valve behind the head has proven to be reasonably safe in millions of dives, though some divers do have physical difficulty reaching the valve while wearing the set, particularly if the cylinder is mounted relatively low on the harness.

In single cylinder diving there is seldom a reason to shut a cylinder valve while diving, and there is no need for changing cylinders or managing different gases. The recreational diver with a single cylinder is not supposed to enter low overhead spaces, so the single valve behind the divers head is unlikely to come into contact with objects which might roll it closed, as the diver tends to avoids situations where the head might impact with obstructions.

Since many recreational divers prefer to swim with their arms crossed in front of the chest, a side mounted cylinder might get in the way. Carrying one cylinder on one side does not increase stability or control, especially when it comes to a rough shore exit and other situations when freedom of movement of the arms is needed.

There are rarely any transportation benefits since the detached transportation of a back mounted cylinder is possible, and carrying the weight on the back is less stress on the spine than carrying it to one side when out of the water. Since backmount equipment designed for travelling is readily available, the weight advantages are unclear.

2. Scubatech Philippines: http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_b ... echniques/

The site provides an extensive info about SM diving configuration, about the typical course, and so on.... Very Informative!

3. DAN - Alert Diver Magazine: http://www.alertdiver.com/Sidemount__No ... s_Anymore/

From Alert Diver mag, I would like to emphasize the following (valid for SM, BM, or other kind of training and configuration:

Divers should choose an instructor who is familiar with their intended dive environment. There are differences between sidemounting from a boat or a cave or a wreck, and the best instruction is scenario-specific. Divers come in a variety of shapes and sizes with a variety of needs; ensure your instructor is knowledgeable on the various sidemount options and can teach you what you need to know.

If you don't understand, ask... if you're not satisfied with the answer, then asked again.. and again.. until you understand ... or find another instructor that can give you the answer ;)

4. PADI TecRec Blog: http://tecrec.padi.com/2011/10/27/testi ... er-course/

It's a good info as it was written in relation to the SM course research... Please do have a look at the blog's comments so you will understand the discussion... (I'm personally interested and curious in Ken Charlesworth's comment) ... read on... :)

Hope this helps and can give us more insights about SM diving configuration.

It's no point arguing and broadening the topic with unnecessary statements, and still not finding the better answer about SM diving.... Taking a course is one thing, but knowing what to buy is another thing (more critical).... :wink:

cheers!
rendra

PS: BBX will host a SM diving trial session this December for Forum Selam members, please PM me to register (limited slots)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 am 

Quote:
Mike, I'm dying to have one of the colorful jetfins! Where did you get your pairs?

By the way if time permit I'd also like to attend your SM demo dive in the pool (I live outside jakarta).
does SM system has standardized configuration?
Might also looking for alternate tank mounting system if somehow in the future I'm having back problems.

Hi guys,

YES, we're selling all the DOS classic jet fin in color ( Pink, Blue , Yellow , Orange , Red ,White & Black ) in sizes M, L and XL. I'm sure you will like it so much.

Once we have the rental set of the RAZOR Sidemount system, we will teach and make the correct adjustment on the diver. Will inform everyone again.

Have a nice day guys

Cheers

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55 am 

Hi guys,

Wow....What a surprise that Mr.Rendra do have a trail Sidemount courses soon, that's the best new I ever heard today. Seen Rendra also take part in Sidemount, I believe you already know what's the benefit of Sidemount, so glad to heard more divers start to step in Sidemount system ! RAZOR Go Sidemount ~ Dive original ~. Let's discuss again.

Quote:
Since many recreational divers prefer to swim with their arms crossed in front of the chest, a side mounted cylinder might get in the way. Carrying one cylinder on one side does not increase stability or control, especially when it comes to a rough shore exit and other situations when freedom of movement of the arms is needed.

A good diver need to use their hands to swim and not with the leg with fins ? Ummm....
I still remember someone told me, if you need extra redundant gas, not necessary must go with sidemount.
A single tank with Backplate + 1 tank on the side can do help. Yes, I agree that if they don't have twin set. BUT will it increase stability or control ? Well, I believe Sidemount system with one cylinder on one side do can stabilize and control.

Please have a look this video again at 1.24 second, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF536M8Bun0
do the lady with single side look unstable ?
Well, It's still depend on the diver comfort level, proper training and hard work on self-training will solve the problem.

Don't get misunderstanding, we're here to discuss and share some diving experience and NOT to arguing.
Hope to hear more from you about Sidemount system after you have done the trial session with student.

Have a nice day and dive safe.

<PLan your dive,Dive your plan>

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:54 pm 

Reading this thread, I don't get anywhere, since I'm a newbie on SM, need to be enlightened :))

Here's my dumb questions to Mike or the guy from deepoceansupplies.com. I got the impression you guys are hard-sellers of the SM course and its related equipment (correct me if I'm wrong), so you must know better :

1. Do you use SM with a single tank? Or must do doubles?
2. If you do go single on SM, by your experience, which one is more balance, a single-tank BM or a single-tank SM? By logic, most will judge BM is the most stable.
3. What if you compare a single tank BM on a wing/backplate with a single on SM BCD about the streamline profile?
4. Referring to #3 above, which one is the best on maintaining horizontal position?
5. Which one is more balance, twins on a BM or twins on SM? How is it one is more balance than other?
6. And why is (as you always said) SM is more streamlined than BM? By logic, both configuration already have tanks protruding out of our body and creating drag accordingly. Please explain.

I don't want to discuss further to technical setup or going deep pass 40m recreational limit, because the topic was originally intended as Recreational Sidemount Course, is that correct, Mike?

If you can answer my questions above, I'm sure my fellow newbies here would have better ideas about the setup and the course. But do us a favor, please put yourself as a consultant when answering, not as a seller.. (We might be newbies, but we're in the same small community with many professionals around).

Cheers,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:49 pm 

Christo del Mar wrote:
Reading this thread, I don't get anywhere, since I'm a newbie on SM, need to be enlightened :))

Here's my dumb questions to Mike or the guy from deepoceansupplies.com. I got the impression you guys are hard-sellers of the SM course and its related equipment (correct me if I'm wrong), so you must know better :

1. Do you use SM with a single tank? Or must do doubles?
2. If you do go single on SM, by your experience, which one is more balance, a single-tank BM or a single-tank SM? By logic, most will judge BM is the most stable.
3. What if you compare a single tank BM on a wing/backplate with a single on SM BCD about the streamline profile?
4. Referring to #3 above, which one is the best on maintaining horizontal position?
5. Which one is more balance, twins on a BM or twins on SM? How is it one is more balance than other?
6. And why is (as you always said) SM is more streamlined than BM? By logic, both configuration already have tanks protruding out of our body and creating drag accordingly. Please explain.

I don't want to discuss further to technical setup or going deep pass 40m recreational limit, because the topic was originally intended as Recreational Sidemount Course, is that correct, Mike?

If you can answer my questions above, I'm sure my fellow newbies here would have better ideas about the setup and the course. But do us a favor, please put yourself as a consultant when answering, not as a seller.. (We might be newbies, but we're in the same small community with many professionals around).

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

is ok.. everyone have their own first time.

before we go further, i would like to apologies if any of my post offended you. in the same time i also would like to know which part of my posting look like hard selling on courses? i dont think my forum name is sidemount or my signature contain any sidemount stuff. you seen any?

since divers are questioning about the sidemount system, i post what i know and what i have gone through.. also as a certified RAZOR system user, those are my experience :smile:

if posting about sidemount is prohibited in forum, i would also apologies for sharing in my pass few post.

anyway, for your question here are some answers.

#1. for myself, i use sidemount on both single and twin tanks.

#2. both single and double are equally balance. if you have ever sling a deco gas on one side be it one or two deco bottles, you dont get one side heavier dont you? event for double back mount diver, when they sling 2 deco bottles on the left or right, they can still balance up without having one side heavier. how do you know this? look at their buoyancy.. if they can stay during deco without any movement at all (event fins no move) thats mean they are properly rigged and well balanced. same goes to sidemount.. if you feel one side is heavier, the riggiing might be loose or too far away from you body, or too far back.. or too far to the front.. many possibilities. every sidemount diver have to adjust their sidemount equipment according to their body size and length. that same procedures goes to adjusting you double tank harness. for sidemount or deco bottle rigging, the closer the bottle to your body, the more balance you will get. and of course the tank not going to move here and there which will cause uncomfort during your dive. also, you have to breath from the right tank all the time because once your air pressure less than 100 bar, that is the time when one side get more floaty.. but as a certified diver, that should happen.

#3. regarding the streamline profile, a single backmount and sidemount i would say nothing much a different. it if you compare twin tank backmount and twin tank sidemount, the twin sidemount will achieve better streamline profile.
look at the photo below.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/90pvky.jpg

the double tank backmount diver are more squarish in shape because the tanks are at the back and above the backplate.
while the sidemount diver with twin tanks have his 2 tanks tightly hug to his body to mimimize drag and look at the shape, isnt it flatter than the back mount diver? width would be not much a different. unless the sidemount diver are not properly rigged or using incorrect config, then he might not be streamline as well. comparing the 2 photos, you can tell which is more hydrodynamic right?

more streamline, lesser effort on finning. you can see it when there is current.

#4. to maintain horizontal position, all bcd are the same. if you can control your buoyancy well, a jacket bcd can be neutrally buoyant as backplate or sidemount bcd and stay horizontal as long as you want :) . so this is depends on the diver himself. if you dont understand buoyancy, you will not be able to stay horizontal without moving for a minute even given the best equipment on the planet. know you buoyancy right, equipment and weight distribution right, plus a minor stretch on your back, voila! thats the magic!

#5. refer to point #2,#3, & #4.

#6. refer to #2, #3, #4.

regarding my identity, i dont think i did anything wrong here. why should i post as consultant whereby i am a normal forum user just like you??

ultimately, when we dive we have fun. i do share the same thing with my friends or or any dive buddy i bump into. if the thing we use is good, people can see and judge.

sidemount is for people who want to travel light, flexibilty and dive with style. we dont have to compare with backmount, because most of the sidemount diver are from backmount. that's including myself. i still have my OMS 30lbs single red bladder with plates, my hollis 40 lbs donuts twin bladder, and a Light Monkey 40lbs twin bladder (brand new). i use my twin to learn my advanced wreck penetration back then. but now i use my sidemount because i think it is more effective in cave, in wrecks, in open water, and also while videoing underwater.

i hope all the above clarify your queries. happy diving.. Cheers buddy! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 pm 

I am an old fashion diver , simple diver.
I don't even like to strap on a aluminum 100 CF tank or anything bigger than standard single AL80. No pony, nothing. The added water drag value is not worth it for me.

Here is my take on the logic of Side Mount IF Single tank and alu tank 80CF, for recreational user.
In Indonesia, alu 80CF Luxfer or Catalina rule, its called AL80. 99% dive center use this 80 cubic feet ( actually 77.4 cubic feet ) AL80, which has the following characteristic :

In Sea water with standard valve

At 207 BAR/ 3,000 PSI , buoyancy is 635 grams negative
At 153 BAR / 1,500 psi, bouyancy is 681 grams POSITIVE
At 34 BAR / 500 psi, buoyancy is 1,543 grams POSITIVE

To see true balance of a SM system with a single AL80, one has to see it under these 3 tanks capacity consideration while diver in a horizontal position hoovering, static. Forward motion brings stability, like how we ride bikes.

Gravity works underwater, regardless.
No matter how a single tank set up on SM is done, it can never have the balance of a back mounted single AL80 center of gravity effect from full tank to empty tank.......while diver in horizontal position, static.

Scenario 1
Assume one weight down an AL80 using 1.5 kg, with tank weight on a single tank SM system.
During the first few minutes of the dive the the SM diver will have NEGATIVE 2kg to one side of his/her body where the tank is. No video can show this, but the diver will feel one sided downforce at work with full AL80 tank, more pronounced in a static horizontal position.

Scenario 2
Assume the 1.5kg weight is placed elsewhere......but where best it be placed ?...to offset the changing dynamics of a downforce of 635 grams all the way to an uplift force of 1,543 grams ...where this dynamic is not located at the center of the gravity axis, which is the diver spine or back

As DeepOcean pointed out "for sidemount or deco bottle rigging, the closer the bottle to your body, the more balance you will get." ,exactly the same reason I said center of gravity axis, is our mid body position and hence single tank is mounted at the back to benefit best the physic of gravity.

In a double tank SM config, Scenario 1 & 2 won't matter much, I guess.

An AL80 tank, due to the tank valve, when air is depleted down to 100 BAR or less and uplift force comes into play, the bottom of the tank is the section which will float first.

In a small scale of things, diver's trim is no different than a camera if one wants a camera to be perfectly balanced.
The only different is, camera is almost static in its buoyancy, once set correct, as it does not have to deal with downforce of 635 grams all the way to an uplift force of 1,543 grams of an AL80 scuba tank.

In a recreational diving, single tank AL80.........its hard to beat the old back mounted tank config simplicity and its well behaved reponse towards the downforce of 635 grams all the way to an uplift force of 1,543 grams of an AL80 scuba tank.......once trimming is done right. All due to the laws of physic. Keep all "variable weight" as center axis as possible. A tank and a BCD bladder are the only two mechanical device termed as "variable weight" in our scuba gear. The beauty of us divers is, we move a lot in water, as I pointed out.....motion bring stability. We also do micro kicking to compensate for various buoyancy forces, not that we realize we are doing it but its an automatic reponse.

For UW photo dudes doing macro and needing to position his/her body to safe ground hugging limit on a reef, having another possible reef killer on his/her side called a tank, is surely not a wise option.

Streamlining :
During forward motion against a moving body of water, total frontal surface area is the most important drag factor as the calculation of co-efficient of drag matters a lot on frontal surface area. We divers are too slow in velocity to worry of other involved calculation parameters, so total frontal surface area is the key. Do the math on this and you will be fine.

In the end various available configurations has their beneficial values, if used in the most suiable scenario as their intended design. So there is no right or wrong, but more of suitability of configuration A, B or C for the diver's intended use in A, B, C environments or needs.

So be happy that there is a new gear to play with called a Side Mount system :mrgreen: , ain't we all a dive gear junkie ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next