It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC + 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Sidemount Courses
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm 

SCUBAMART Mangga Dua Indonesia

Official Sidemount Course will be available in NOV 2013. All instructor are Razor Certified from Steve Bogaerts or HP Hartmann. Email or PM us for details.

RAZOR~Dive Original

Sidemount is a scuba diving equipment configuration which has diving cylinders mounted alongside the diver, below the shoulders and along the hips, instead of on the back of the diver.

It began as a configuration popular with advanced cave divers, as smaller sections of cave can be penetrated and tanks can be changed with greater ease. The same benefits for operating in confined spaces were also recognized by divers who conducted technical wreck diving penetrations.

Sidemount diving is now growing in popularity within the technical diving community for general decompression diving, and is becoming an increasingly popular specialty training for recreational diving, with several diver certification agencies offering recreational and technical level sidemount training programs.

Flexibility

The sidemount diving approach offers divers significant benefits to the flexibility of their approach. Unlike back-mounted doubles, acquiring and transporting sidemount suitable cylinders is often much more convenient and accessible.

Sidemount diving configuration allows the travelling diver to conduct technical and/or overhead environment dives without having to source traditional back-mounted twin cylinders. When diving in remote locations, the transportation of diving cylinders, especially by hand, is considerably less physically taxing.

Sidemount diving equipment is also considerably lighter, and less bulky than back-mounted alternatives – allowing for easier and cheaper (considering the rate of many airlines’ excess baggage costs) travel.

Accessibility

Unlike back-mounted cylinders, the sidemount diver has immediate access to, and observation of, the regulators and tank valves of their cylinders. This enables immediate problem identification and allows swifter resolution, without recourse to ‘behind the head’ shut-down drills that require a higher level of mobility, flexibility and freedom to operate.

Streamlining

Sidemount diving configuration places the cylinders under the diver’s armpits, in line with their body. This decreases water resistance (improving air consumption and reducing fatigue) whilst also allowing the diver to pass through smaller restrictions than would otherwise be possible in back-mounted cylinders.

The flexibility to remove tanks, and propel them in front, allows the diver to pass through very small passages and holes when penetration diving – being limited only by the size of their bodies and exposure protection.

Safety

Increased accessibility to life-supporting regulators, first-stages and valves improves efficiency and speed of critical cylinder shut-down procedures, allows immediate gas-loss identification and provides the diver with quick access to alternative safety procedures; such as regulator swapping (between cylinders), valve-‘feathering’ to access gas within a cylinder whose regulator is malfunctioned/free-flowing... or even breathing directly from a tank valve.

In addition, stowage of the cylinders next to the diver’s torso, and beneath his armpits, serves to protect vulnerable valves and regulator first-stages from collision, impact and abrasion damage, or accidental shut-down through contact with a ceiling. It also significantly reduces the risk of entanglement behind the diver, where it is least easy to rectify.

Comfort

Many divers will testify that sidemount diving configuration offers greater stability and easier-to-attain trim and control in the water. It is also less physically tiring to carry, and get into, sidemount equipment than with traditional back-mounted doubles – especially when operating from a small boat or a rough shore entry.

The ability to attach, remove and replace cylinders whilst in the water allows the diver to avoid ever having to carry heavy-weight back-mounted cylinders. This is combined with reduced physical exertion when conducting regulator shut-down procedures, which is a major benefit to technical divers who suffer from shoulder or back discomfort or reduced mobility from old injuries.

Redundancy of gas

Whilst technical divers have always utilized a redundant gas system, either isolated-manifold or independent back-mounted cylinders, recreational divers have traditionally resorted to using ‘pony cylinders’ or ‘ascent bottles’ as contingencies against out-of-air emergencies.

Whether attached to the primary cylinder, or slung at the chest, these cylinders often presented problems with stability and streamlining, whilst simultaneously only providing a bare minimum supply of air for emergency ascent.

Sidemount diving with two cylinders helps resolve stability and streamlining issues, and ensures that a truly capable redundant supply of air is maintained.

Technical divers debate the pros and cons of independent cylinders versus isolated-manifold doubles. Back-mounted manifold cylinders provide easy access to complete gas supplies, in the event of a regulator failure and shut-down.

However, the manifold itself creates additional o-ring failure points and a failure in that component will deprive the technical diver of at least, one-half of his remaining gas supply. Independent cylinders, when sidemounted, provide true gas redundancy, whilst offering access (via switching regulators between cylinders or feather breathing of all remaining gas.

The widespread popularity of sidemount diving systems did not emerge until the mid-2010s, when the growing popularity of technical and cave diving became exposed to sidemount proponents on the internet who were offering an alternative approach that matched the minimalism and functionality of the popular 'DIR/Hogarthian' back-mounted systems, whilst offering advantages in flexibility, comfort, accessibility and safety.

The increasing interest in sidemount diving configurations prompted several manufacturers and individuals to designs their own sidemount system. Steve Bogaerts (a UK-born cave pioneer, who lives and cave-dives in Mexico) released the very popular 'Razor' system and began teaching a specific model training program for his rig.

At this time, several technical scuba agencies developed formal sidemount training programs and incorporated sidemount diving configuration as an equipment option within existing technical diving programs.

Please email us for more information, have a nice day.

< Plan your dive,Dive your plan >

Cheers

PADI Divemaster #323232

Last edited by Mike Ooi on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sidemount Courses
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:19 pm 

Mike Ooi wrote:
PADI Divemaster #323232

Whoa! Nice number 323232! :D

BBeXplorers - Indonesia's Center for Diving Excellence | GUE Affiliate | We provide: Diver Training, EFR Training, Halcyon Dive Systems | Need info on joining DAN? E-mail me: rendra [at] banyubiru.org | Join our group on facebook: Banyu Biru Explorers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:48 pm 

rendra wrote:
Mike Ooi wrote:
PADI Divemaster #323232

Whoa! Nice number 323232! :D

Hi Rendra ,

Yeah, that's a pretty lucky number to me. Thanks for that, as i Know you're from BBeXplorers dive centre in Jakarta,
When I'm free will visit you guys, as we can share some diving experience about Rec & Tec diving.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers

PADI Divemaster #323232

Last edited by Mike Ooi on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:02 pm 

Interesting.. How much is the price for the course?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:21 pm 

yudantow wrote:

Hi,

Can you give me your email address ? So I can send you more information.
Cheers

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:04 pm 

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:12 pm 

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 pm 

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:11 pm 

[email protected] :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 am 

Mike Ooi wrote:
yudantow wrote:

Hi,

Can you give me your email address ? So I can send you more information.
Cheers

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:48 am 

Hi...Fellow Divers,

Please come down and visit our new store. Do not forget to tag along your buddies. You may refer to our Scubamart Indonesia for Our special discounts. See you soon ....

Please click below this link :http://www.evite.com/event/0211WUO5OLZGJQKMUEPDHRYAT6PGS4

Warm Regards
ScubaMart Team

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 pm 

Hi Mike,

Compared to traditional back mount diving, what's the advantage of sidemount?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
rendra

BBeXplorers - Indonesia's Center for Diving Excellence | GUE Affiliate | We provide: Diver Training, EFR Training, Halcyon Dive Systems | Need info on joining DAN? E-mail me: rendra [at] banyubiru.org | Join our group on facebook: Banyu Biru Explorers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 pm 

rendra wrote:
Hi Mike,

Compared to traditional back mount diving, what's the advantage of sidemount?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
rendra

Hi Rendra ,

Base on our understanding, Sidemount have been started using only for diving in Mexico & Flo Rida semi-flooded Cave many years ago by cave explorers not divers. Now the trends is coming back again, a lot of divers will be curious why want to use Sidemount for diving? The answer is simple. Side Mounting is one of the most simple configuration of a BCD , it give you stream line profile while diving, much easier to get in to trim position in terms for buoyancy and not forgetting emergency procedure too. If there were had any failure of tank,regulator or hoses, you can easily manage or solve the problem because you can easily see your failure. For diver who like to do some extreme diving ,exploration and penetration, Sidemount will be the best for choice.

This is what I think and know about Sidemount, how about you? What will be your take for Sidemount diving? Lets have a small discussion about this so will benefit everyone here.

PADI Divemaster #323232

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 pm 

Hi Mike,

Thanks to you and Rendra for starting this discussion. Welcome to Indonesia and congratulations on the opening of your shop.
Let me just start with saying I’ve never dived Sidemount but I’ve been interested in trying it for a while now. For me the biggest advantage in doing sidemount is that a diver fits in smaller spaces for example when they go cave diving. However, the disadvantage of diving sidemount is also quite significant in twintank diving where you do not have the possibility to have a manifold. This means that if you have a problem with one of the tanks, the gas in this tank is basically wasted. How do technical sidemount open water divers deal with this?
I understand that any failures might be easier to deal with in sidemount diving, however, I think with proper training (for example valve drill) this supposedly “disadvantage” in backmount diving can be negated. Proper buoyancy training can also negate the other advantage of sidemount diving such as easier to get into trim position

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:18 pm 

Chris wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks to you and Rendra for starting this discussion. Welcome to Indonesia and congratulations on the opening of your shop.
Let me just start with saying I’ve never dived Sidemount but I’ve been interested in trying it for a while now. For me the biggest advantage in doing sidemount is that a diver fits in smaller spaces for example when they go cave diving. However, the disadvantage of diving sidemount is also quite significant in twintank diving where you do not have the possibility to have a manifold. This means that if you have a problem with one of the tanks, the gas in this tank is basically wasted. How do technical sidemount open water divers deal with this?
I understand that any failures might be easier to deal with in sidemount diving, however, I think with proper training (for example valve drill) this supposedly “disadvantage” in backmount diving can be negated. Proper buoyancy training can also negate the other advantage of sidemount diving such as easier to get into trim position

Thanks for the Congrats Chris.

Let's discuss this Sidemount topic. It is really interesting to know the different thoughts and idea of different mounting configuration.

Base on my thoughts, if diver who wants to take up Sidemount courses , he or she will already be ready to take in pressure, multi tasking and have good knowledge about diving. Also for divers that is interested to upgrade their skills and comfort level during dives. When a diver when through a proper sidemount training, they will have the understanding of the pros and cons in sidemount diving. The flexibility of sidemount diving that can provide to a diver. Truly understand the configuration of the system and will be able to choose the kind of configuration the diver wants in almost any kind of diving. With so much flexibility you can do any kind of diving from recreational to Technical dives. Its really base on the understanding of your own equipment configuration.

As a example, "Gas Lost Control" between twin tank diving (with manifold) and sidemount diving (standalone tanks).

Scenario 1 (VALVE FAILURE)

Twin Tank
Isolator shut down - valve shut down (Depends on which side fail)

SideMount
Valve Shut Down (Depends on which side fail)

Scenario 2 (MANIFOLD FAILURE)

Twin Tank
Isolator shut down

SideMount
Not Applicable (No manifold)

The above example is all base on my knowledge between the 2 different kind of mounting and very very brief explanation on the step and procedure. So just for easy comparison. Because there is still the fault finding and recover procedure for both.

I would like to thanks the forum and Chris to let me have a channel to discuss topic like this that will also increase my knowledge and understand of diving. I really find it interesting to share and exchange information.

Hope to hear from more experience diver out there. Also hope to see more divers coming to our retail centre for discussion and exchange information. We have a nice coffee corner to sit down and relax.

PADI Divemaster #323232

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next