It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 7 hours

Post subject: The worst flood in Jakarta -- EVER!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 pm 

I came across this excerpt from Yahoo! News article today:

Jakarta's heavily criticized governorsaid he could not be held responsible for the worst floods to hit the city in living memory, saying they were a "natural phenomenon" that occur every five years. "There is no point in throwing abuse around," Governor Sutiyoso, who goes by one name, told el-Shinta radio station. "I was up until 3 a.m. this morning trying to handle the refugees."

My thoughts on this (I don't care if this makes me sound like a raging tree-hugger):

It's unbelievable the utter rubbish that comes out of the mouths of our ignorant yet incredibly arrogant political leaders. It doesn't take a genius to figure out there's nothing NATURAL or PHENOMENAL about this flood. It is completely preventable had we not turn a blind eye on the mountains and mountains of garbage piling up and rotting in the drains, rivers, lakes, beaches, and oceans.

Why does the implied "natural phenomenon" occur solely in the world's third most polluted city -- Jakarta -- and not in any other cities in Indonesia? How dare you use the word "abuse"! You don't know the slightest bit about abuse. Raping an entire mountain region and turning it into a bald wasteland decorated with fancy villas and country homes IS abuse. Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees, lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk, garbage, slime pits, and debris.

"Human destiny is bound to remain a gamble, because at some unpredictable time and in some unforeseeable manner nature will strike back." ~Rene Dubos, Mirage of Health, 1959

And strike back she did. We are paying for all that deforestation and environmental abuse with a hefty flood delivery from the mountains this year. We are NOT refugees. We are environmental terrorists! Stop
thinking as if the Earth is our Mother and that she owes it to us to provide a safe, clean home and meet all of our greedy needs.

"I am the earth. You are the earth. The Earth is dying. You and I are murderers." ~Ymber Delecto

The question is: Shall we wait for an encore in 2012 or shall we start apologizing and making amends with Nature?

"We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive." ~Albert Einstein

"Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed; if we permit the last virgin forests to be turned into comic books and plastic cigarette cases; if we drive the few remaining members of the wild species into zoos or to extinction; if we pollute the last clear air and dirty the last clean streams and push our paved roads through the last of the silence, so that never again will Americans be free in their own country from the noise, the exhausts, the stinks of human and automotive waste." ~Wallace Stegner, letter to David E. Pesonen of the Wildland Research Center, 3 December 1960

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 pm 

Old posting but still relevant for current situation.

I wish more and more Jakartans share your concerns and I believe nowadays the numbers of Jakartans who share these concerns are now increasing. In democratic countries like Indonesia, it depends on locals participation in pushing their government to achieve their needs. Seeing the movement of Koin Peduli Prita v. RS Omni Internasional Alam Sutra, I saw Indonesians capability to change the not friendly policy in peaceful way. Jakartans could refuse to have more luxurious shopping malls (you can do it by no longer visiting or shopping in any of these malls) but demanding of more public parks, more motorways, more comfy public transports, better city plan, no more flooding etc, etc..It is time to change the mindset of these politicians and govt officials to serve people needs as priority through people participation.

BTW, love your signature quotes - John Kay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 pm 

ikutan nyundul biar tambah populer ah.

great post!

ayolah kita ubah lifestyle kita.
Kebanyakan sudah termakan oleh bualan advertising di TV, majalah2, bahkan pergaulan sehari-hari. = "consumerisme"

yang tas, spatu, baju-baju, hape, selalu pengen beli yang model baru.
padahal tidak perlu thooooo.

perlu nih ada artis yang bisa ngasih contoh baik. saya siap maju :oops:

harapan ada di generasi2 muda,
yang "masih bisa" kita "ajari" cara menghargai alam.

:( jiayooo ahhh!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:36 pm 

dan kenapa sih orang2 lbh tertarik sama hal hal ngga penting
seperti keong racun / video "mirip" artis.

nih ada yang lebih penting dan bermakna niyyyy.... :shock:

:cry: turut berdukacita, kok Indonesia begini jadinya :cry: